Pages

Monday 7 May 2012

cakebook: baking cakes

I need 14 sponges (2 of each): red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo & violet:

IMAG0324
As you can see I've made good progress baking, here's how the cake-o-meter looks so far:


This weekend I made great progress, working on a 300g mix-base (300g SF flour, sugar, fat, 6 eggs, 1tbsp milk and 1 tsp vanilla essence).

I split the mixture into 2 portions (600g per mix) and coloured the mix before putting in tins and baking (175° for 20mins).

Once cooled the cakes were removed from their greaseproof and frozen.

Over this weekend (5 & 6th May) I've made 13 of the 14 cakes needed for the middle of the building.

The top part of the building is cooked in a single tin shaped like a bell, it's a bit slow to cook and a bit tempramental.

I'm wondering if I can make the cake mix for the entire dome, split it into 7 portions, colour it, and then layer it in the dome shaped tin before cooking.  I'm wondering how much blurring of colours I'll get by doing it this way, or it I'd get away with separating each layer with a piece of greaseproof that I can remove after it's cooked?  This might need some experimentation.

And Mr Lisa still doesn't know (yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment