Pages

Friday 15 June 2012

A sort of practise cake

A few updates since my last blog (confession)....

Mr Lisa now knows that the freezer in the garage is full of cake and he's very happy to help me and get involved.  I've been able to answer all of his questions about "how are you going to stop it from toppling when you move it" and "where are you making THAT" and "WHEN DID YOU MAKE ALL THOSE CAKES?"

I've solved a few problems i was having too:

Question: Where can i get a box from to transport my cake, i need something tall and wide?
Answer: Right here - at home.  We bought some IKEA wardrobes and I've fashioned a suitable cardboard transportation protection sleeve for it.

Question: Can I use my bell-shaped cake tin and make a rainbow layered cake without the colours bleeding?
Answer: Dunno, but Mr Lisa has kindly agreed to 'sculpt' this part of the cake.  And by doing so, I've baked another 7 cakes (to shape into the top of the gherkin).

Question: How many layers is it going to be?
Answer: erm....7 layers in a rainbow, and I've got 4 of each colour...(quickly doing the maths), yeh, erm 28 layers. BLIMEY 28 layers!!!

Question: And how tall will THAT be (as a gherkin)?
HOW TALL? 14cm-ish
Answer: Funny you should ask, I don't know...I originally calculated 78cm tall (which is 30inches in old money).  But it just so happens that I can get a more accurate measurement because this weekend I'm making a Belle Cake for my niece made out of rainbow cakes- yes 7 layers, and shaped into the skirt rather than use the bell shaped cake tin.
So here we are, 7 layers sandwiched together with Homemade strawberry & gooseberry jam (nearly a jar full) and buttercream and it measures....14cm.  So, doing the maths (again) 14cm x 4 =56cm or 22inches in old money.  SO just imagine that with another 21 cakes on top :)


​Question: And how are you going to stop it from toppling over?
Answer: ​My dad.

​Question: Your dad???
Answer: Don't interrupt. I was about to say, my dad has built something, a wooden base 15inches x 12inches and screwed (or nailed) a wooden broom handle to it, 25inches long, which is slightly longer than the measurement i had above.  Which actually works out okay - because I'm covering the cake with icing.


Question: ​And how much icing do you need?
Buttercreamed & chilling
Answer: Again, I'll note the amount used on the cake for this weekend, and take that as a rough guestimate.  I shouldn't go far wrong with that (& I'll buy an extra coupe of packets - just in case). 



​Question: So what does this Belle Cake look like?
Answer: ​I'll post a picture when it's finished.  But it'll be similar to the Barbie Cake I made & documented in my flickr photos (last June)

No comments:

Post a Comment