Pages

Friday 6 September 2013

The random Russian woman at Haymarket metro

On my way home, at Haymarket metro, I was stopped by a Russian sounding woman who asked if I had 5 minutes. She had a toddler in a pushchair and a kid with her, I thought she was after directions, the time or something like that. So I said okay.  I'd never met her before in my life.

She asked me to read through a text message she wanted to send to a bloke (her boyfriend I assumed) and tell her if the phrases she'd used were okay, and if it sounded strong enough and if she should send it.

She told me how she felt about the relationship, she seemed tired of him taking advantage of her, swanning in and out of her life as it suited him, paid her little or no attention, left her with the kids, used the house and left, often leaving his phone off and not paying her any attention when she came back from a family visit.

Now I'm no relationship expert but I could tell she was pissed off with him and just wanted to know where she stood.

I was stood there for about 10minutes talking to her, listening to her Russian-geordie accent, she'd add the word "like" to a couple of phrases, to be honest I just think she just wanted to have a rant about him and for someone to listen to her.

I told her to send the message.  I hope she gets the answer she wants from him, but I know I'll probably never see her again.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you were able to help her! There are many times when you struggle to say stuff in a foreign language. Despite, like you said, her using Geordie lingo, she just wanted to make sure she said in English what she would've had no problem saying in Russian.

    ReplyDelete